Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Another Good Book

Finished another pretty decent book this weekend. Deadfall, by Robert Liparulo was awesome. It is a fiction work that I couldn't put down. It's a story set in the Saskatchewan back country that involves a tiny out-village, 4 vacationing weekend warriors, and some very disturbed techno-gamers. He was a little weak in his archery-speak, but he mentions that in his acknowledgments, so I'll let it slide. I picked up his first thriller at the Christian Bookstore a year or so ago and have been hooked ever since. I just checked out http://www.robertliparulo.com/ and found out that there are some movies in the makes, at least movie rights have been purchased, for 2 of his 3 novels. That's pretty interesting, though I doubt Hollywood can make a great book a great movie. It's been done occasionally, but I think I'll cherish these books in my mind and not ruin what the author led me to create on my own. (I had the same struggle with the Lord of the Rings and Narnia. I eventually gave in bought the movies.)

Liparul0 is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. As of today and the completion of Deadfall, he has climbed into my second spot ahead of Frank Peretti. Here would be my list of favorite fiction writers in order:

Stephen Lawhead
Robert Liparulo
Frank Peretti
Ted Dekkar

I think what I like about these guys is that there is so much "Fact" in their fiction. While their story lines (maybe with the exception of Lawhead on occasion) are generally make believe, these guys put tons of effort into accurately recreating the environment in which the story takes place. Lawhead is a genius at this. His knowledge and understanding of the ancient Celtic world is fascinating. The best of both worlds; on the one hand, I am incredibly entertained, on the other, I actually learn a little.

I run into so many people who say they "just don't like to read." I cannot understand that. Certainly, there are those who don't read well, well that issue wont fix itself! Others find reading boring...put down the self-help mumbo-jumbo and find something that's exciting! Still others suggest they don't have the time...turn off the TV and its amazing how much more time you'll find! Start out reading for pleasure and get good at reading. I think then you'll find you can read for wisdom and knowledge. Then you'll be able to experience the transformation that comes from renewing your mind through the Word of God. Baby Steps, Baby!

He Has Made Me Glad!

By the way, why not hit the comment button below and tell me what you like to read. Maybe you'll open some new doors for me!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I can expand my reading beyond 18th Century presbyterianism I'll have to give him a try. I really enjoy Lawhead too. If you've read the latest in the Robin Hood series can you give us a review?