Friday, June 27, 2008

PCUSA General Assembly

I have spent a little time this past week following the General Assembly of the PCUSA denomination. A good website that I have used to do that is www.layman.org . I think it is a site that more closely reflects my theological position and deals with the issues that I find to be of the most importance for the church. (Just for the record, I think many in the PCUSA heirarchy would describe this site as heretical and closed-minded.)

About the time I think God may tire of the half-hearted Cumberland denomination I find the PCUSA church is still here, which means we should certainly have more time left to turn our ship around.

As I went through the news stories on that site, I was heartbroken, outraged, disgusted and ashamed. I dont understand how anyone with half of a rational mind and Gideons Hotel Bible could align themselves with such nonsense. And yet they do. Sadly, I do. Not directly, but by association.

My denomination longs to experience reunion with our former "family." OK, maybe not the denomination as a whole, (and certainly not me!!!) but many of our denominational leaders and staff persons spend a lot of time pushing for joint projects and activities and opportunities. I heard a little nonsense about our "joint" projects at General Assembly. And for the life of me, I dont get it. WHY? I think the official numbers are something like 57,000 members left the PCUSA church last year alone. Why on earth would we want to align ourselves with a Church whose own members are grieved by their own behavior? Not to go all "Holy-Roller" or anything, but how many times does Scripture warn us about associating with the evil and godless?

Just my thoughts on a Friday Morning.
He Has Made Me Glad! (Though concerned)
jeff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.