Saturday, June 07, 2008

Japan - Day 2

Well, as expected, today was massive. The opening worship service was a good one. Renaissance from Bethel College provided one song for us. (Can you imagine the logistics of getting 37 people to Japan?) As always, they did awesome and I hit Peter up to make a return to New Hope this fall. A choir from Japan presbytery also presented special music during the serving of Holy Communion.

Following worship, Assembly business began. Rev. Jonathan Clark from Winchester, TN was elected moderator. Rev. Carrol Richards from Lincoln, IL was elected vice-moderator. We heard several presentations from different denominational representatives, and while it was informative, it was not very exciting. My body is struggling with adjusting to the time change thing. I have never experienced this before, it's like someone has set the parking brake on my life.

The most notable feature of my day was the train riding. I'm almost certain I couldn't do this in the US where I could actually read the signs. Here, the only thing to do is find someone who knows where they're going and tag along. That's a great plan unless the ding-dong in the front is just as confused as you are. It took us 3 different trains to get to Koza Church.

Upon our return from Koza, we stopped off at the "Grocery Store" and bought some things. I also got my gifts for the children at church. I'm excited about them and can't wait to pass them out next Sunday. Following that we went to supper. We decided to give McDonald's a rest and went to a local Italian eatery. I will not be back again. The 3 of us had the rib eye. It came served with cold potato wedges and mixed veggies. The food wasn't so bad, but the atmosphere was pretty tough. The only description I can give is that it was 5 times as chaotic as any Chuck E. Cheese I've ever been to. And there weren't any games. It is now 8:19 PM Saturday night in Tokyo. That makes it 6:19 AM Saturday morning back home in Paducah.

This has been quite an adventure. Thankfully, everyone in this monstrous city has been incredibly helpful, polite and kind. I am about to pass out from exhaustion, so I will end for today.
He Has Made Me Glad!

No comments: