Thursday, October 07, 2010

POPAYAN!!!!!

Well friends, it go like this.
We made it into Cali, Colombia about 8 PM last night. Once we fought our way through the airport and made it out of baggage claim we were reunited with an old friend...the BUS from the Colegio Americano. Alvarez was in his place behind the wheel. Life was good.

We dropped off several of our group at the Hogar Samaria seniors home for the night. They had all worked on the project numerous times before, and....they had to have a place to sleep.

Bob and I were taken to Boyce & Beth Wallace's home where we spent a lovely, but very short night. Today is "No Driving Day" in Cali. No personal automobiles could be used between the hours of 7 AM and 7 PM. That meant we had to be on our way out of town well before we were ready. I had the most awesome 4 hour sleep of my life!!!! Such a shame to have to end it so soon.

Back on the bus we headed for a final destination of Popayan. You really ought to google it. It is an amazing historic city. The road was similar to that going to el Coro...only 2 hours longer. As we came out of Cali, traffic was backed up and the policia were directing traffic. As we passed the situation, there was the body of bicyclist laying on the edge of the road dead. It was ghastly and for once, I will use some tact and not describe what we saw. It was bad.

I believe the trip was something like 87 kilometers. The bus ride was rougher than all get out, too. The good news is....I saved a fortune as I no longer think I will need the vasectomy. (I know, overshare)

We arrived in Popayan around 10, had a quick breakfast, viewed the work site and then came to the hotel to check in and drop off our luggage so that super-bus could get back to Cali and do its regular after-school route. We spent about 10 minutes at the hotel, and then went back to the church to to begin our work-eat-work-eat routine. I love this place, except for the working part. We have really made friends already here, as the people of the church are fun and thankful and generous and kind. Because Popayan is very prone to earthquakes, the codes here are very strict. That being the case, we are up to our eyeballs in rebar that must be cut and bent. I have no idea how many pieces we have worked with today, but it is a small sample of what is yet to come.

Our work was cut a little short this evening as the skies opened up and it poured like crazy. Sadly, we did not get all the dirtwork done that has to be finished before we can go much further. I'm expecting a giant mud hole tomorrow, but who knows. I am satisfied that we will eat 5 times, and that is good enough for me.

The church here is amazing and I will try on Sunday afternoon to compile what I've learned about it thus far and post it for you. Suffice it to say, there is a true hungering and thirsting for righteousness here that is seldom seen in the USA. Church is not just something you do, following Jesus is a complete way of life and from what I've seen, these folks are getting it right. 2 discipleship groups were meeting at the church tonight as we were leaving. There are 40 other small groups being led throughout the week in the homes of church leaders that average in attendance around 20 per home. Its no wonder this "young" church has over 400 in worship weekly.

As I've only slept about 7 hours in the last 50, I think I've shared all I can for today. Thanks for your prayers and support. Keep praying as we still have numerous obstacles to overcome. Be Blessed.
He Has Made Me Glad!
jeff

3 comments:

Bert said...

Great news honey! I will spend shopping today what you saved on a vasectomy!!

Anonymous said...

Soo happy for you Jeff! Sounds wonderful! Will pray for your mission and may God be lifted up during your time there. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you and cant wait to hear more.
"Fred"

sandra said...

Praying for you this week. Keep posting if you can. Take care of Bob.