Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Almost ready for cement!!!

After a week of intensive labor, the sight is almost ready for cement. Because Popayan is very prone to earthquakes, building codes are much more strictly enforced. The top soil had to be removed, and then countless numbers of clay, chirt and rock had to be brought in and packed down. Today, while the Rebar Bender's Guild continued their work making materials for the baskets, the rest began to dig the footers and the holes for the floor foundations. Tomorrow, we should be able to complete all the digging as the RBG will finally be done with our work. It looks as if we will completely miss out on cement work, but who knows. We end our work early tomorrow...5-ish, so that we can return to our hotel and clean up for a banquet to be held in our honor. That should be fun, as many of us will share our testimonies and some special music. And then Friday, its back on SuperBus and up to Cali so that we can catch a plane home early Saturday morning. I love it here, and I love these people so dearly, but the thought of home just now made my heart jump a bit. Afterall, its DEER SEASON!!!!

Kidding...well, it is deer season, but I miss my family. I miss yelling at the kids and the occasional dispute with me esposa. I miss the 43 trips a day out to the yard with the new puppy. I miss driving. I miss being able to communicate with words. For those of you who've ever traveled south of Miami, I miss the proper disposal of the "paper." I miss tap water. I miss the convenient things that make life better...dependable internet, cell service, air conditioning.

And in the same breath I know that as I return home I will miss not having cell service. I will miss the adventure. I will miss the simplicity that is such a fresh breath to a busy life.

The good news is...I'll be bringing another group down in January to do electrical...If you are a professional electrician who wants to do something for Jesus, and happen to be reading this...give me a call, I'll be home Saturday Night!
He Has Made Me Glad!
jeff

No comments: