Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The pastor's "Wardrobe."


Today's blog is dedicated to Dr. Chuck Killian, my professor of preaching at Asbury Seminary. Chuck and I didn't agree on the "Pastor's Wardrobe." In fact, we had a slight moment of disagreement. While at the time, he was certainly right in his assessment of my choice of clothing (A lesson I have never, nor will ever forget...to this day I have never led a Sunday Morning worship service without a coat and tie.) I would venture to bet that even a simple shirt with buttons and collar would have closed every door to ministry on this day.
OK...So what is this? This is the result of a great day of Goose Hunting in Historical Southern Illinois. It's nothing like they say it was in the 70's & 80's, but I sure had a ball. I'm the goober in the middle. I was the guest of a church member at their goose club. It was a great day in which most major problem of the universe was thoroughly discussed AND SOLVED. Now, if somebody who matters would just ask for our input we could make the world a better place.
Now back to the hunting...I'm not really a goose hunter. I have been a few times, but unlike most other hunting, I'm clueless how to do this. I know little about geese or how to call them or how to set up decoys.
The way this works is that the 5 of us were submerged in a concrete pit in the middle of a wheat field. We were surrounded by 5 or 6 dozen Canada Goose decoys. The real geese fly over, we blow goose calls until we are at the point of asphyxiation. 9 times out 10 all the geese fly away. But occasionally, we got to shoot. That's the fun part. When 5 guys shoot 3 shots apiece all at the same time, nobody really knows who shot what. Which also means, nobody knows who didn't shoot what. I'm one of the world's worst shotgunners, and that isn't my attempt at humility. It's the truth. While I am certain I shot one of those geese, I'm not so sure "I" hit the other one. But the great thing is, NOBODY KNOWS. I just look confident, give a few high fives and spit. And Wah-lah...I'm a goose hunter. Not really, but for a day it was pretty neat. Just another way to be with church folks on their turf, where I'm the uncomfortable one. A great way to talk about God-things when "my students" are comfortable and less guarded.
The cool thing is, a goose in the crockpot made like Italian beef is awesome. It doesn't taste like chicken or liver or the excrementy taste you might expect. It's good, really good. And a whole lot better for the body than a processed, chemically treated anything that I might go to the store and buy.
Chad, thanks for a great day. Dr. Killian, thanks for making me smile today.

1 comment:

Chad said...

Dude,

It made my day to hear from you, buddy. Ive missed you, too. Thanks for the contact. Lets keep in better touch.

CDK