Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What I'm Reading Right Now.

Every once in a while somebody wants to know what I'm reading. I love to read. Unpacking books this week was almost disastrous. I came across a book I hadn't seen in a while..."Everything I know about Bucks with a Bow"...by Bob Kirschner. Its a thin, home-published looking little tv guide sort of book offering all sorts of tips and tricks for the avid hunter. Its way outdated, but what the heck, it was words on a page, and Bob is one of the most interesting people on the planet. I sat in the floor and read it. Just because I hadn't seen it in for forever. I LOVE TO READ. And I'll read just about anything. But it really interferes with unpacking.

So, you ask, what am I reading right now? And if you didn't ask, I'm going to tell you anyway.
Several different books...For fun, I just finished up "The Bride Collector" by Ted Dekker. To me, its relaxing just to escape into a little fiction every now and then. This would make a great Criminal Minds movie. Its a little dark, eh...a lot dark. The author weaves just enough biblical thought into it that Lifeway will sell it, but nonetheless...I loved it. There's a lot of unnecessary graphic poo left out that books of this genre usually overdo.

I'm really learning a lot from 2 other books. "Visioneering" by Andy Stanley and "Good to Great" by Jim Collins. These two have a lot of great information that I am already trying to figure out how to introduce in my ministry here at FCPC. I think they will help us navigate the future in a way that helps us become all that God desires and intends us to be. And to DO it in a way that honors God and values His people. (The "getting there" is just as important as the "where we're going.")

I'm also reading "Day of War" by Cliff Graham. This one is pretty interesting. The book is about David and his Mighty Men. What makes it such a unique read is that Cliff is a military veteran that now serves as a chaplain. His insights into the life of a soldier open up the lives of those military men in scripture with a new clarity that I was unable to "get" as I have no military background whatsoever (unless you count my years in the Boy Scouts).

I think April is the month for the observance of National Turn-Off the TV Week. Why dont you turn off the tube and do a little reading. It'll do you some good.

4 comments:

Cindy Irwin said...

Jeff, I also read Dekker's books, Bride Collector was the last one of his I've read.

Cindy Irwin said...

Jeff, I also read Dekker's books, Bride Collector was the last one of his I've read.

Jala said...

Good to know I'm not the only one who is reading more than one book at a time.

Anonymous said...

Stan read Good to Great, he said it was very beneficial!!