Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Compliment...I think

I got the strangest compliment yesterday. I was visiting at the hospital and went in to meet a lady I'd never met before. Within the first minute of our time together she said, "You have the warmest, most welcoming smile I've ever seen." Given my current "belly-expansion" project, I probably should've received this as the proverbial "...but you've got such a pretty face." You know, maybe its her way of following Grandma's Rule...If you dont have something nice to say, dont say anything at all! But I want to believe that its really true. I want to believe she meant just what she said. I want to believe that I communicate "warm and inviting." When I walk into a room, I want to change the place...I want the presence of Christ in me to make a difference. I want my countenance to reflect hospitality of Christ. I dont want to be one of those dried up, staunchy, too much starch-in-my-shorts kind of Christians.

In Exodus 34 after Moses had been in the presence of God on the mountain top, Scripture says "his face was radiant." It was so overwhelmingly obvious that Aaron and the Children of Israel kind of freaked out and kept their distance. The conlcusion I'm making at this point is this...The more time I spend in the presence of the Father, the more likely others will be able to see Him in me. How's your countenance?

2 comments:

Jon Pendergrass said...

Is it bad that I had to look up countenance.

jeff said...

glad you did Jon. Now use it 5 more times today and you'll have it for life