Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Politics...........................

I am struggling for a name to give to today. Granted it already has one...Ash Wednesday, signifying the Lenten Season has begun. but my mind is in other places.

Yesterday was SUPER TUESDAY!!!! Yipee, huh? Much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned. I usually try to stay away from political issues. Mostly because I'm not all that informed in the world of politics, but also because politics just seem to be so divisive. And since I'm a pastor, the one thing I try to steer away from is divisiveness. I know God has some pretty severe consequences for those who stir up dissensions in the Church. Or to borrow from Mr. T, "I pity the fool who tries to split up my little brothers and sisters."

At any rate, yesterday was super Tuesday. But did you notice the weather across the nation that seemed to coincide? Storms, tornadoes, flooding, etc.... Could it be that for once, me and God were in agreement? Maybe He feels about all this political nonsense the same way I do.

I read where Dr. Dobson stated that he may or may not vote for a presidential candidate, depending on who the candidates ultimately are. Of course, that wont really change anything. The one with the most votes still wins, even if only 12 people in the whole nation vote. But what if....

What if election laws were changed so that if enough people didn't vote for any of the candidates of a specified office, a non-election could be declared and the whole process started over, with say a 3 or 4 month period for campaigning?

I know, never happen! And I'm sure there are tons of legal issues why that can't happen. But I currently feel like this election is choosing between:
A) Getting punched in the face
B) Getting my toes stomped on
C) A good swift kick to the nether regions

None of the options sound very good to me. Sure, at this point I do have a presidential candidate that I like better than the others, but to be honest, I'm sure even he isn't as completely on the up and up as he lets on to be. Let's face it, they're all politicians, and not a one of them has made it this far by being decent, honest and trustworthy. (Gosh, its sad to read that in print, but in this tooth, fang and claw culture of American Politics, good guys dont win, at least not without sacrificing a whole lot of their goodness in the process.)

So here I sit, elated by the fact that I was born an American; thankful I dont live in any other nation of the world, but discouraged at the thought of what we have become.

No comments: