Monday, February 25, 2008

The Flu (Vomit Discourse Warning!!!!)

Much has been said recently about the flu; every newscast, podcast, paper and periodical is saturated with information concerning this years flu epidemic. None of that means anything when you are face down in the commode, hoping against hope that you are taking you're final breath in this world. At least that is my current theory. Brian Williams & Matt Lauer have nothing to offer in the heat of the regurgitating moment.

For the first time in my 38 year life I have experienced the flu. It is perhaps the single-most, worst event of my life. I have only puked one other time, that I can remember. It was a sympathy barf when Miss Bert was pregnant with Hunter. Not one of my more manly moments, but humorous now. At any rate, puking being a sort of new phenomena to me, is unbelievable. Hands down, it has got to be the most violent action the human body is capable of producing. While I hope to never experience the throes of illness again, I am dismayed at that the fact that I didn't capture my "upchuck moments" on tape. For those of you more experienced barfers, objects (i.e. veggie soup) being propelled from the nostrils at light speed may be something you are familiar with, but not me. I still cant believe it. Surreal is about the best I can get to describing RNVSE (Reverse Nasal Vegetable Soup Ejection)!!!!

Oh, I despise the flu.

I did have a question that just revealed itself to me as I was face to face with the Tidy Bowl Man: Is it necessary to wash your hands after a bathroom experience when you've already got the flu? Antibacterial soap would seem, at least to me, to work against the processes of the immune system. Not only that, but if the germs are inside already, what good does it do to wash the outside. I think Jesus said, in my words "first clean the inside, then outside just needs a quick wiping down."

All foolishness aside, in my light and momentary affliction, I did have a more spiritual thought. My mind was directed towards those who undergo chemotherapy treatments. This sort of thing is a daily experience for them. I can't imagine trying to keep a positive mental attitude with a deep internal sickness. As a pastor in an ever increasing cancer-present world, I hope my prayers and my presence will communicate hope and encouragement to those in this state of being, in such a way that a little personal, daily revival might be kindled within them. My heart and my prayers go out today to all who fight cancer. May you draw strength from the words of Jesus Christ who said, "In this world you will face many troubles, but take heart, I have overcome the world." (And so will the rest of us who dare to trust in Him.)

Tired of feeling Queasy, yet on the road to healing,
He Has Made Me Glad!
jeff

No comments: