Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It's bad enough I'm getting concerned.

I have pretty much been keeping up this blog for my own personal outlet. Today is no different. I'm not preaching Sunday's Sermon, casting judgment or belittling the faith of anybody. In fact, much of what is said here today is just as much a description of me as it is anyone else. I've been working on a sermon series for family month which is almost upon us. That being the case, I've probably been reading more from Scripture than is normal. One of the things that has stood out to me is all the displays of the wrath of God.

In this modern era of contemporary church where becoming "seeker sensitive" is a major concern for pastor's and leaders...at a time when the church is concerned about making people feel good...at a time when entertainment often replaces biblical standards for worship...God's anger isn't something that is often brought up. Yet it is very real.

I know, I know, God is love. And we certainly dont want to offend anyone, especially at a time when the church can ill afford to lose any members. But God's anger is just as much a part of His character as His love is. I love my kids. I'd like to think I'd die for them if it was necessary to preserve their lives. But they make me angry. That's just part of it. Probably because I love them SO much is why I get angry. I want the best for them. I want what's good for them. And when they act in a way that's harmful or hurtful towards them or anybody else, I get upset. And the "wrath of dad" kicks in, out of love, in order to correct them.

Now...why I'm bringing all this up. One of the biggest reasons God's wrath shows up in Scripture is when His Children get all stupid and start worshipping other gods. When they start putting their hope and their trust and their loyalty into societal trinkets that are lifeless, loveless and limp...When they pour themselves into other things and withhold wholehearted devotion to the One, True God.

Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Sports Teams, Pleasure, Leisure, Work............How much description do I need to go into here? What I'm trying to get at is that it seems like we, the Modern Church, are getting really good at being idolaters and adulterers. We give ourselves and the devotion God deserves to the things of earth. We whore ourselves out to the things of this world, and I'm just wondering how much longer we can continue to do so, before God has just had enough. Sure, I know God is love. But at some point, His love is going to take action and correct, or at least attempt to correct our spiritually slutty behavior. Am I right? Am I wrong? Do I just not have a clue? Click on the comment button below and let me know what you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had a pastor in the past that, not that first time, preached about the God of wrath. He said he was scared into church as a kid and he would not do that to anyone. So all he preached was; warm fuzzies, etc. Don't get me wrong that is a great message and it makes you feel good to know that God loves you even though you sin everyday, but I think the church is in the wrong to ignor the other side. By not telling the other side, we lead people to believe that God will not send anyone to hell because he is a loving God. That goes for all Christians in their teaching, leading, etc. I also think we will be held responsible for not revealing the "other side". When I was a kid, many years ago, I FEARED my Dad, but that got the results out of me that he wanted and I am a better person for it today. (Although some would disagree with that statement). The same with my heavenly Father. I need to know his wrath and anger and fear him because that will make me a better Christian and I will still know that He loves me no matter what.
Signed: A church member.