Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Fishing for Men

WOW! What an amazing past couple of days. I have been busy. It's just been one of those sets of days that comes along every now and then that are just demanding. It's not been bad, just busy.

Yesterday evening I did decide I needed just a small break. I went up to the lake for a few hours to see if the Stripers (Not strippers! Strippers remove their clothing, Stripers are big fish with a bad attitude. There were no strippers at the lake---at least to my knowledge) were running. They weren't. I made a couple hundred casts with not even the first hit. But I kept on casting. I kept thinking that any moment would be THE moment where one of those "Attack Fish" would pull my arms out of socket. THE moment, never came.

Now here's where I attempt to make a spiritual point of some sort. Jesus said that if you follow Him, He will make you a fisher of men. But I can honestly say that the times where I have relentlessly pursued a person with the same intensity that I pursued those fish last night have been few and far between. I certainly dont make a couple of hundred "casts" with the Great News of Jesus. I often give up. WAY before Jesus would have me shake the dust of my sandals, I've already moved on. At other times I give up hope and go through the motions with little or no expectations. If THE moment doesn't happen quickly, I'm prone to thinking THE moment probably isn't going to come. And so I give up and move on. I think I can do better than that. I know I'm expected to do better than that.

No comments: