Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Shattering the Silence!


OK, maybe its cabin fever or or something a lot like it, but the image of these Struttin' Turkeys makes my heart beat faster than that one-armed guy in Def Leppard can pound his drums with both feet.
Here's how I recall it:
I was sitting with my back against a tree in the darkness, half shivering, half stoked about what is moments away from taking place. The wise old bird of the forest is roosted 40 feet up in an ancient oak only 30 yards away. As the predawn light begins to blot out the darkness, I notice the shape begin to move. He stretches his wings a little and begins to walk around on the limb upon which he spent the night. I know its coming. I try to brace myself for it, but when it finally happens I jump more than a little and mumble under my breath something about a stupid bird. The silence of the night is shattered by an ear piercing GOBBLE! It's one of the single most incredible moments in all of nature. Truth be told, more than once I've been content to watch these ol' Toms strutt off without ever firing a shot. I guess it was his reward for putting on such a great show.
Anyhow, what's the point to all of this? Good question. I said I had cabin fever. My legs have been cramped up under the desk for way too long. I'm ready to get out and stretch a little. That, and maybe the fact that the GOBBLE of the wild turkey speaks to the spirit of man as well (at least this man). The whole purpose for the gobble is to secure companionship for the lonely longbeard. It's his way of shouting, "Here I am." And when the turkey ladies hear him, theoretically, they are supposed to come running. (Too bad it never worked like this for me in high school, eh?)
At any rate, what I'm thinking today is that I'm wanting some companionship too. I'm longing to walk more closely with my God. I'm wanting to be near Him in order that I might become more like Him. My turkey friends dont mind shattering the silence to make their needs known. I on the other hand seem to be a little more reserved. It's not very proper; not very dignified to cry out to God. I'm wondering if there's a lesson in all of this for me. Maybe there's something in it for you too. Or maybe its just time to go huntin'. Maybe a little of both. This much I do know: Scripture bears witness to the fact that when God's people cry out to Him, He makes Himself known.
He Has Made Me Glad!
jeff

No comments: